gtag.js

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Crime





Crime Poem

Sunday night the dogs escape to the wood.
baseball bat in the back, radio sings loud,
fingers burning fear warnings of childhood,
hours hunting, spy a tail in a cloud.

The trail ahead blocked by granite boulders.
Mountain lion serial murderer,
lurks hidden evil over my shoulder,
in the dark ahead is a torturer.

Flashlight fires courage with each imprint.
Upon the sagebrush the injured dog rests,
not a whimper when my shirt makes a splint,
carry back to the car without protests.

Wound appears to be torn by barbed wire.
Three in the morning, where may find a Vet?
Bottled club soda and Betadine dire,
carry an eighty pound dog works a sweat.

Dixie doesn't cry as I unload her 
my arms wrap as I whisper, "found help."
Techs run with a stretcher as we enter
in their hands a muzzle to stop a yelp.

Carmel eyes gaze touching my heart in trust.
"I'll hold her head, she's a gentle lady."
Shave, clean, and xray reveals what it must,
the dog's been shot by evil upper crust.

Spot in hell for a man who tries to kill.
Easy to recover from lack of sleep.
This story is not ended I know it will
Find this criminal, a promise I keep.

Caroline Gerardo copyright May 9, 2018


This poem is a true story






No comments: