gtag.js

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Epi Epiphyllum Care


Epiphyllum  
Or Queen of the Night

She's easy to grow in my arid climate.
Snails are few on the ranch; but, I squirrels, rabbits, deer
and fire ants that nibble on soft tissue when hungry.

There are twelve varieties of Epi's in my garden. 
This one is from a single stem piece transplanted
three years ago. The secret is in my potting soil. 
The dirt is 50% home grown compost + 10% gravel + 
10% per-lite with oak wood chips in the bottom of the pot 
for drainage (the other 30% of the mathematics equation).
We lost an old growth oak to drought, beetle and woodpeckers.
It feels criminal to use it for firewood, so I've found justifiable
means to make three hundred year old wood recreate epis
for friends.

Pot your epi with the notion that you are not going to re-pot her
until she breaks out. By this I mean: one piece in a large vessel.
Choose a pretty pot with drain holes, as she blooms once a year.
Though her fronds are green she's not that fabulous the other
seasons. She's a stumpy cactus without thorns. See my coral 
fuchsia carnival next to my daughter's C J of the same hue.

I water only when the medium is dry, stick your finger in to check.
In spring, I water her twice a week. When I see the edges slightly
red, this means she gains strength to push out flowers.
The flowers flow from year old growth tips.
Do not move her while blooming. The basketball sized flowers 
are fragile. If you vainly haul the pot to a more visible location 
you'll lose many of the blossoms. 

Be generous with admirers and promise to give them a cutting
after she blooms, as there is such joy in sharing something
gorgeous. Ask me and if the post office allows, it is on its way.

In my zone the epis are outdoors under pine trees and recieve
full morning sun, and filtered mid-day sun, with good amount of
full light after 5:00 P.M. They rest under pines because we get frost.
When temperatures go below 30 degrees I cover with old bed
sheets for the night, then they appear to be squatting ghosts. I've
often thought of attaching masks, flowing plastic bags with glow
sticks or mylar clown balloons to the covered plants as branches
act like scarecrow arms. 


I don't fertilize. I let them rest after flowering by slowing 
my water schedule a bit; but not letting them go bone dry.

Epi's live forever if you don't let the snails get them.

Plant high and hang if you have wet climate and snails, 
leave bowls of old beer for the snails to get drunk and drown.

Epi's are easier than making pie crust, yes I love a buttery
flaky crust that your fingers barely touched and deep reds
of raspberries and rhubarb. Do the deer believe they will
taste of currant, or they seek water?

To play the videos - you have to click both arrows. Play
them together and listen to the mockingbird and woodpecker
in the background.

Caroline Gerardo Copyright June 7, 2018




No comments: