gtag.js

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Indian Summer


Writer's desk
A clean desk
is no good omen.
Give me piles of notes
memos about preventing ants

Red sunrise 
Vane points hurricane
Barometric pressure between 
send in the fifty third Squadron

Hot Autumn nights 
Cautantowit caught off guard
Smoky destruction ahead
spells the fortune cookie.


Orange Red  Sunrise photo by Caroline Gerardo

Indian Summer by Jozef Clemonski 1875
Notes:
Yes I know it is so not politically correct to even say "Indian Summer." I'm part native and find no
offense in sports teams using the image. Lawsuits in general only benefit attorneys. 
Kautantowwit or Cautantowit is the Algonquin god from the southwest... 

Temperature here climbed back up. I long for cool evening walks. I can't wait to wear wool. My sweet gum is already turning, she is confused. When can I set a Fall hearth? Is it dry and hot where you live?  

2 comments:

Everett Powers said...

We've had temps in the upper 80s here in Utah, very nice. However, looking at next week's forecast, we're dropping 20 degrees. I have no idea how the term "Indian summer" arose, but it's one I use often. When appropriate.

Caroline Gerardo said...

@Everett Powers Indian Summer roots from
British Royal ships under the Raj referring to Indian Ocean hulls were marked "I.S." to indicate the level at which they should be loaded during the hot late September - November thus not about Native Americans but
In his novel: Letters From an American Farmer, J. H. St. John de Crèvecoeur (a.k.a. Michel-Guillaume-Jean de Crèvecoeur)wrote in 1778


"Then a severe frost succeeds which prepares it to receive the voluminous coat of snow which is soon to follow; though it is often preceded by a short interval of smoke and mildness, called the Indian Summer."
It is called a weather singularity. Native Americans burned prairie fires which created a hazy fog in what was to become North Eastern New England. All in all a lovely image and if they make the Redskins team change to something like the big fat cows I'll be sad. :)