gtag.js

Saturday, May 22, 2021

Flowers From the Field or in Containers



nigella flowers in the field




peony, pink stock, tulip, hydrangea arrangement

Cattelya orchids bloom on a long strand. 
I like to remove two lower ones and 
bind a little bit of floral tape to give 
them support in an arrangement. 
The first one is soft pink hues. 
Sometimes I choose one monochrome color, 
sometimes two, or just try 
everything there is no wrong combination

Nigella damascena, Eustoma, commonly known as lisianthus 
or prairie gentian, snapdragon, scabiosa, sea holly, 
and more in this white, silver, yellow, and blue bouquet above.
white hydrangea, orchid, roses

A bouquet of flowers starts with the greenery as the structure. 
Above is a white and green combination of orchids, 
roses, hydrangea, and anemone and more.

I planted these ranunculus bulbs two years ago.
Tecolote is supposed to be a medium pink 
but here she is in a pot on the porch all hot magenta glory. 
In California they are easy care and 
I don't pull them out to protect from cold. 

Potted flowers act as wonderful flower arrangements 
that can receive full sun outside then come in to be 
enjoyed while in full bloom. 
I dead head off the petunias and geraniums 
to keep them repeat blooming. 
Containers need good compost and drainage as 
I like to crowd the plants to make them sing together.

Nigella in the field. 
Black and white,
the blue ones didn't 
pop up this year.
bouget
Be fearless to combine flowers that bloom at the same moment. 
Above is a wild combination of colors and textures.
 Change the water daily to cut down on bacteria and keep them cool.
wall of succulents

I'm playing with these vertical tubes to be able to grow more on the patio.

borage and epis
A simple white container has held ten years of spring arrangements. This is the first year I have had success with petunias. In the picture is this is Easy Wave Yellow that I traded seeds with on the seed exchange. In my ongoing war with slugs and snails I continue to try new organic methods. Snails love to eat petunias down to the roots. I don't know if you can see in a couple photographs I have dishes of beer, little plates of yeast and sugar, coffee grounds, egg shells, diatomaceous earth on the surface of pots or on the ground. Many years ago I had a friend who started a snail ranch (escargot) and the buggers always escaped the pen. Please eat escargot. 
strawberries and herbs
Sage, thyme, and strawberries are another type of arrangement 
on a sunny wall.

I love borage for it's blue flowers and furry leaves. 
It has a cucumber flavor. 
Come on over I can make an exotic cocktail with the flowers. 
If you are not a drinker, it's also good mixed with 
fresh squeezed meyer lemon aid. 
I may put you to work on the weeds so we can enjoy it icy cold.






 



1 comment:

Bhavana Varun said...

Lovely flowers! What a pleasing sight to watch them bloom.