gtag.js

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Organize your XXXX in Word Files

Organize the Outhouse of my Mind

In a fuddle this morning. Need to clean out, throw away and start new.
 "If a thing can be done adequately by means of one, it is superfluous to do it by means of several; for we observe that nature does not employ two instruments [if] one suffices." Thomas Aquinas





Finished the first draft of next novel, working title Eco Terrorist. I might call her Soothsayer, but that leads to another story further taking me off point. I am giving the book a rest for a week. Working on short fiction that needs polishing after a cold trip. Organizing and planning back at home today. The wind rocked the house something wild last night. Electric charges from the dry ions are irritating my muse. My sweet gum trees in the front in painted blaze have thrown their souls all over the canyon.  One mess of crimson, rust and magenta is in the bottom of my pool and the gutters towards the ocean.

After travelling this week to Canada I want to thank again all the wonderful people who were supportive and amazing open, giving, and participated in the performances. Poetry is alive and well. I met college students, teens, bikers, cowboys, and truck drivers who are now part of my family.

Returning to my messy mind, I ask those Santa Ana winds for solutions. Does anyone else have this stupid problem? I save a file in Word and give it a title, next I add a numerical date, but other copies of the same file duplicate as a) Backup of xyz title  and b)xyz title with similar date and c) I might have a word doc a worddocx an HTML and some other copies of the same file. I attempted to merge these ten pieces but it is frustrating to the point of crazy making. There must be a better system to organize my writing.

I want to store all the poetry and flash pieces in some easy to recall order.
There are about two hundred short stories and flash fiction pieces unpublished that I need to edit down and keep clean copies.
I also have hundreds of film clips and thousands of photographs.
I think I need a personal secretary who can live inside my computer and just talk to me when I sleep.

Time for bleach, lists, throwing away a bunch of junk and general cleanup.  I will back up all the creations into folders and put them on a seperate hard drive to open one at a time. Simplfy the work into pieces to cut copy and paste.

The photograph above is a working outhouse, I do not have one at the Wyoming ranch, but  feels like my mind today. I spare you the word (xrap) in the title.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like that title Eco Terrorist. I would read that.

Anonymous said...

I think "In a fuddle this morning" is my new favorite saying. As for your word doc, yeah, good luck with that.

Brandon Duncan said...

Ugh. The dreaded clean-up and organize days. How I do love those (NOT). Good luck with that from me as well. Those are rather labor intensive and mind numbing days.

Brandi said...

This (unfortunately) just reminded me that I have a ton of cleaning, organizing and purging to do of my own...but like Scarlet O'Hara...I'll think about it tomorrow(or maybe even next week).

Good luck! I'm off to do some much needed cleaning/organizing in our almost 10 year old's bedroom. If no one hears from me by this evening please send out a search party ;)

Caroline Gerardo said...

@columbibueno no comment boxes on your site?

Unknown said...

Ah, I hate organizing my files. I try to do it when I first make them, and eventually, I get lazy stop, and the next time I look, they're so numerous and mixed up that I doubt I'll ever be ever to organize them all.

And you know, that kind of applies to tangible things to...especially things in my room...